Octave-3.2.3 and gnuplot-4.5.0 installation on Debian Lenny 64 bit

From: cornelis . broeders
Subject: Octave-3.2.3 and gnuplot-4.5.0 installation on Debian Lenny 64 bit
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 13:53:38 +0100

Hello all,
being new in this group greetings to all. In view of graphical representation
of power maps with hexagonal nodes, I have spent in the past week some time
with installation from source of newest versions of octave (3.2.3) and gnuplot
(4.5.0). I succeeded to install on MANDRIVA2008.1 32 bit, MANDRIVA 2009.1 64
bit and DEBIAN Lenny 64 bit. Gnuplot succeeded without major problems. Octave
needed on all systems careful installation of several required packages. After
some experience, the messages at the end of configure output prove to be very
helpful for that purpose. For the DEBIAN community I want to report that I had
to make one modification in the resources: in the file:
"octave-3.2.3/src/DLD-FUNCTIONS/fltk_backend.cc" after line 50 "#include
<FL/gl.h>" I added "#include <FL/glu.h>".  The change is based on what I have
read in WWW somewhere some days ago during installation on MANDRIVA.
I hope this information can be helpful for other octave installers.
Best greetings

C.H.M. Broeders,       http://www.cornelis-broeders.eu