Re: about oct-file interface

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: about oct-file interface
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 14:12:14 +0100

ons, 09 12 2009 kl. 21:03 +0800, skrev Evan:
> I ever wrote some oct-files to improve the performance of my code
> following the manual for octave 3.0, now I want to switch to octave
> 3.2, are there any differences in the oct-file interface between the
> version 3.0 and 3.2?

Yes, there are differences. I, however, can't remember them all. I would
guess that most of the differences are related to the symbol table. So,
if you are only using the basic class (Matric, Cell, ...), then you
won't have to change anything. The easiest way to figure out, is (IMHO)
to try to compile your code with Octave 3.2. Most of the code in
Octave-Forge didn't have to be changed.

> or is there a repository for the source of the
> manual? so that I could figure that out by a diff.

The manual is kept with the Octave source code in the 'doc/interpreter'
directory.

> And I noticed discussions about releasing the version 3.4 in the
> mailing lists, I also wonder whether there will be any changes in the
> oct-file interface for the version 3.4.

There will be changes to the oct interface as well in 3.4. Of the top of
my head, I remember that 'ArrayN' will be deprecated in favour of
'Array', but other changes are likely as well.

In general, the interface is not stable. A stable interface has been
discussed, but we have yet to decide on an API.

Søren