Re: Problem with ginput

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Problem with ginput
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 07:53:53 -0500

On Dec 9, 2009, at 3:17 AM, Matthias Brennwald wrote:

> Dear all
>
> I have a problem using the ginput command with Octave 3.2.3 on Windows
> XP (I did the same on a Mac running Mac OS X, where everything worked
> as expeced). Using ginput results in warnings and never returns any
> result. Here's an example:
>
> --------------
> octave.exe:5:~\Desktop
>> gnuplot_binary
> ans = C:\Octave\3.2.3_gcc-4.4.0\bin\gnuplot.exe
> octave.exe:6:~\Desktop
>> version
> ans = 3.2.3
> octave.exe:7:~\Desktop
>> which ginput
> `ginput' is a function from the file C:\Octave\3.2.3_gcc-4.4.0\share
> \octave\packages\plot-1.0.7\ginput.m
> octave.exe:8:~\Desktop
>> plot (rand(1,10))
> octave.exe:9:~\Desktop
>> ginput (1)
> warning: implicit conversion from real matrix to real scalar
> warning: implicit conversion from real matrix to real scalar
> warning: implicit conversion from real matrix to real scalar
> warning: implicit conversion from real matrix to real scalar
> [THINGS SEEM TO BE STUCK HERE. THE ONLY WAY TO EXIT FROM GINPUT AT
> THIS POINT SEEMS TO BE CTRL-C.]
> --------------
>
> I don't know what to do to fix this. Is this a but or am I doing
> something in the wrong way? I'd appreciate any help.
>
> Matthias

Matthias, can you tell us what version of gnuplot you're using? You can get
that info by type "__gnuplot_version__" at Octave's prompt.

I don't have a windows machine to test this on, but this problem may have been
fixed.

The prior discussion is at this link.

        http://old.nabble.com/Ginput-doesn't-work-in-3.2.3-to26470943.html

The changeset is linked to below.

        http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/fea3d4868692

Can someone confirm this change fixed the problem?

Ben