Re: in-place operation semantics,

From: Naveen Garg
Subject: Re: in-place operation semantics,
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 13:06:27 -0600

> fortran_vec() is nice, but it would be even nicer if it could be a global,
> exported function and it took a pointer to octave values, and such a pointer
> could be obtained.

I don't understand what you propose. Try to be more specific.

Currently, I don't see a way to use fortran_vec without first making a copy of an octave value.
Even if you create a new octave value in an oct file, there is no way to pass that octave value back.  It gets copied and to a new pointer.  Could we not mark certain octave values to be safe from garbage collection, so a persistent fortran_vec could be retained outside the .oct function call...

> I am using the mingw port of octave, and am able to load dll's that can then
> call functions in .oct files compiled with mkoctfile.
> I am having to rewrap functions such as set_global_value and
> get_global_value.
> Couldn't liboctave behave more like python dlls and export more functions
> for the mingw version?
> Maybe I am missing something, and they are already exported somewhere, but
> which files do they end up in ?

These functions have nothing to do with liboctave, they're interpreter
stuff, hence should be in liboctinterp.

ok, i found set_global_value in liboctinterp, but its name is mangled... Could it not be extern c ?