Can't "position" subplot

From: Thomas Detman
Subject: Can't "position" subplot
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 01:00:01 -0800

I've been using subplot to "stack" multiple time-series plots in one figure, but I am not satisfied with the default behavior. The documentation seems to imply that the following should work:
  ax = gca ()
set (ax, "position", [X0,Y0,deltaX,deltaY]) # with [X0,Y0,deltaX,deltaY] previously defined. See 15.2.2.3 Axes Properties. However, this makes no visible change to the plot. On the other hand it does change the output of:
  get (ax, "position")
It says it did what I asked; but it didn't. It's either delusional or passive resistant ;), or I'm missing something.

Specifically, I want to make both the right and left ends of the axes in two or more subplots vertically aligned; I want to reduce or eliminate the vertical gap between subplots (suppressing the tick labels on all but the bottom subplot).

Environment:
  GNU Octave, version 3.0.0
  Ubuntu 8.04
  octave:2> gnuplot_binary ()