Re: CUDA acceleration in GNU Octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: CUDA acceleration in GNU Octave
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 10:50:59 -0500

On 22-Nov-2009, Chengqi Chang wrote:

| GPL compatibility depends on how the libraries use CUDA -- if the libs
| only call them, GPL can be retained.

I don't think that is correct, nor is it the interpretation of the GPL
that the FSF has.

| Once you buy your graphic card, you are
| actually tied to a vendor.

That does not have to be true.  If there were one high-level free
software library that supported multiple types of hardware, you would
not be tied to a single vendor for software support or future hardware
purchases.

jwe