octave+bash

From: david
Subject: octave+bash
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 12:29:04 -0500

Dear octave community,

I would like to pass variables into an octave function from within a bash script.

I realize this may be a bash question rather than an octave question, any help will be appreciated.

The following test file and one line script works,

Octave function:

function TestTraining(samplestring,ss2)

disp(samplestring)

disp(ss2)

endfunction

bash script:

octave --silent --eval ‘Test(“test string”,”Nice try”)’

What I’m trying to do is pass a bash variable into the octave interface.

Something like the following,

Var=”Nice try”

octave –silent –eval ‘Test(“test string”,$Var)’

What can be done with $Var so that octave recognizes it as “Nice try”?

Thanks in advance for your assistance

David