Re: Pytave licensing

From: David Grundberg
Subject: Re: Pytave licensing
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 10:00:12 +0100

Judd Storrs wrote:
On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 6:00 AM, Jaroslav Hajek <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Ulrich Staudinger <address@hidden>
But if the script does not import pytave and does not use libraries that
are distributed with it, it does not have to be.
Well, I believe nobody tried to say that. That would be a plain nonsense.

Not nonsense, really. Ulrich is hitting the nail very squarely on the
head. You could very, very, very easily write a python script that
receives any pytave-like object as a parameter without importing
pytave.

I don't think the mechanisms for linking matters. You're still linking, and you're still deriving Pytave.

It makes me uneasy to hear people trying to make proprietary works of copyleft software. I think it is very unethical, since copyleft software is developed with the intent to always be free software. Nobody is forcing anyone to use copyleft software, so there is no need to weep crocodile tears.

David