Re: calling octave from C

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: calling octave from C
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 11:48:27 +0100

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 12:13 AM, Judd Storrs <address@hidden> wrote:
Ok. I think you are overreaching by claiming that python scripts must
be GPLv3 as a result of using pytave.

1) Octave is an interpreter. The GPLv3 license does not apply to
interpreter input. e.g. m-files can be any license without violating
the interpreter's license.

2) python + pytave is also an interpreter. In order to distribute a
python + pytave interpreter, all components of the interpreter must be
GPLv3 compatible.

3) Python scripts are also interpreter input. They are equivalent to m-files.

Still, David's position is probably in agreement with FSF's:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfInterpreterIsGPL

so if this is of real interest to you, I'd suggest you ask the FSF

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert & GNU Octave developer