Re: ARPACK vs (BLAS + LAPACK) - build question

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: ARPACK vs (BLAS + LAPACK) - build question
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 11:25:10 +0100

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 2:10 AM, Sergei Steshenko <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello All,

ARPACK README file says:

"
  The makefile is set up to build a self-contained library which includes
  the needed BLAS 1/2/3 and LAPACK routines.  If you already have the
  BLAS and LAPACK libraries installed on your system you might want to
  change the definition of DIRS as indicated in the ARmake.inc file.
".

So, when building ARPACK for Octave how do you guys build it - using
the included into ARPACK BLAS + LAPACK routines or using independently
built BLAS + LAPACK ?

I build BLAS + LAPACK regardless; disk space is not an issue, i.e. if
the chances athat ARPACK will function more correctly with included into
the tarball BLAS + LAPACK routines are better, so be it.

Thanks,
 Sergei.

I link ARPACK against external LAPACK 3 and BLAS without problems. In fact I had problems when I built ARPACK with its own LAPACK 2 subset.

hth

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert & GNU Octave developer