Re: Using octave runtime in a commercial product

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Using octave runtime in a commercial product
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 19:06:56 +0100

Judd Storrs wrote:
On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 7:27 PM, David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:
just use a popen2 in your application A to start an octave process, feed
it the data you want and recover it however you want and I believe you
could do this. Perhaps John might clarify his position though.

Well, unfortunately this won't really protect *.m code if someone
wants it. No matter how cleverly you encrypt the files on
disk/wherever they will always flow as plain text through the pipe.
Anyone could substitute a rogue interpreter to siphon off the code as
it is filtered. Any sort of hand-shaking would have to be either
covered by the GPL (i.e. available as source code) or MEX compatible
(i.e. reusable by a rogue octave). It seems to me the best chance of
protecting code with octave is MEX binaries with some sort of
anti-disassembler tricks. Honestly, I don't think there's much you can
do. In the end it's all just speed bumps.

--judd

copyright law protects it whether it is readable or not

35 rue Gambetta                              +33 1 46 04 02 18 (Home)
92100 Boulogne-Billancourt FRANCE            +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)