Re: Using octave runtime in a commercial product

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Using octave runtime in a commercial product
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 01:27:33 +0100

Eduardo Fuentetaja wrote:
Thank you for the quick answer. That link was helpful.

Yes, we'd like to protect the m-files. The idea would be to have an
application A that calls a library L. This library would have embedded the
Octave interpreter, that we will use to run our m-files. We wouldn't have a
problem releasing the source code for the library L, but we wouldn't like to
release the source code of A or the m-files as GPL.

Would A be considered a derivative work from Octave? That's the question.

Yes as embedding octave would be considered a derivative work as described in the FAQ.... If you don't mind that the source code of the m-files are visible, then they can be licensed under whatever license you like as described in the FAQ link I sent, then just use a popen2 in your application A to start an octave process, feed it the data you want and recover it however you want and I believe you could do this. Perhaps John might clarify his position though.

A big note however, lots of people on this list have given enormous amounts of code into Octave free and when this community will respect your company or not will depend largely on what you give back to the community.

David

35 rue Gambetta                              +33 1 46 04 02 18 (Home)
92100 Boulogne-Billancourt FRANCE            +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)