Request for Quote

From: Andy Williams
Subject: Request for Quote
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 15:15:31 -0500

Hi,

I need to perform some statistical analysis on an ongoing basis for a worldwide not for profit writing contest I'm launching soon. If anyone is able to provide these six short scripts described below to run on my linux web server, I would appreciate if they would respond immediately with a quote letting me know how much it would cost and how long it would take.

I need four to six short scripts to process statistical data extracted from a MySQL database. I can have someone else extract this data from the MySQL database if need be. I will need to be able to invoke these scripts be from the linux command line using a task scheduler. Display of the data on a GUI will not be required.

Code: find_maxima

This code should take a frequency distribution as input and attempt to fit the frequency distribution to a Gaussian curve. It should extrapolate the peak of the curve to five decimal places and return this value as the result. The frequency distribution will be a two dimensional array of values for variables x and y, with x being a rating from 1 to ten and y being the number of times the rating has been given.

Cod: get_std_dev

Given the frequency distribution described above, I would like a script that outputs the standard deviation of the rating. It would likely be more efficient to calculate the standard deviation as part of find_maxima, and to simply retrieve the value here. In that case this function will only be a shell or wrapper function.

Code: get_avg

Given the frequency distribution described above, I would like a script that outputs the avg rating. It would likely be more efficient to calculate the average as part of find_maxima, and to simply retrieve the value here. In that case this function will only be a shell or wrapper function.

Code: detect_outlier

Given an integer “z” representing a rating as well as the frequency distribution described above, I would like a script that calls get_std_dev to calculate the standard deviation in the ratings and then detects whether “z” is within a standard deviation of the mean rating. The script should return 1 or ‘true’ if the value is greater than 1 standard deviation from the mean and 0 or ‘false’ otherwise. It would likely be more efficient to calculate the standard deviation as part of find_maxima, and to simply retrieve the value here.

Code: detect_ratings_skew

Given an array of ratings made by a particular judge and given the frequency distribution of the overall ratings (described above) this code will compare the count of the judge’s ratings that are within the standard deviation of the norm to count of the judge’s ratings that are the determined to be outliers. If more than 32% of the judges ratings are statistical outliers then the function will indicate a skew in the individual judges ratings by returning 1 or ‘true’. The function will return 0 or ‘false’ otherwise.

Pseudocode:

            If outliers/(outliers+ratings_within_norm) > 0.32 then

                        Return true

            Else

                        Return false

Code: adjust_ratings

Given the mean and standard deviation of the overall ratings and the frequency distribution of ratings given by a particular judge, this function should adjust the ratings of that judge so that they have the same mean and standard deviation of the overall ratings. The output will be a new two dimensional array containing each rating from one to ten and the adjusted value of that rating.

Best regards,

Andy