Re: Efficient code for operating on pairwise vector diffs

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Efficient code for operating on pairwise vector diffs
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 07:43:57 +0100

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 10:41 PM, Joseph Wakeling
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
>> Hi,
>> sorry for the late reply. For an OctaveForge file, I think you should
>> write an Octave-like inline docstring. Error checks (number&type of
>> arguments) would also be nice. The dim argument also sounds good.
>> If you target just Octave, the exist("bsxfun") check is pretty unnecessary.
>
> Sure, that sounds good.
>
> Just on a personal level, are you happy with the author credit in the
> code?  It felt slightly cheeky saying '(c) me' and only thanking you --
> it seemed OK in the original longer piece of code I wrote using bsxfun
> on one line, but less so in a function where your suggestions are the
> majority of the working lines :-)

I would never claim copyright for two lines of code. And by addressing
the suggestions above you'll get more code.

> Brief overview of what I'd like to do with the complete code this is
> part of.  We're preparing code to be both Octave- and MATLAB-compatible
> (which is why the bsxfun check is in there, only the most recent MATLAB
> has bsxfun).  I'll probably put it onto Launchpad or GitHub as something
> stand-alone to be maintained, with a permissive but GPL-compatible
> license (BSD, I guess).  Then octave-forge stuff can be derived from it.
>  Does this sound OK?

I think so. Of course there's no need to include your code in
OctaveForge (implying more maintenance if the primary source is
elsewhere), it's just that OctaveForge is the place where people look
for Octave extensions first.

> Again, sorry for not being more forthcoming with actual code examples
> right now, but it will get there. :-)
>
> Best wishes,
>
>    -- Joe

regards