Re: package installation Octave

From: Benjamin Lindner
Subject: Re: package installation Octave
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 13:50:12 +0100

> On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 9:01 PM, Benjamin Lindner
> wrote:
> > Erik Brezet wrote:

> the

> have

> >> Hi Benjamin and Anandaram,
> >> Thanks for your responses.
> >> I've got Octave 3.2.2. I still don't get the packages to work.
> >> For example, I want to install SPCtools:
> >>
> >> ftp://svr-ftp.eng.cam.ac.uk/pub/comp.speech/tools/spctools
> >>
> >> and I unzip the files in the package directory
> >> "octave\share\octave\packeges\SPCtools"
> >> ,but when I run Octave, it doesn't recognize any of the commands..
> >>

> > Well, these tools are not an octave-forge-package, so they don't follow
> > octave's packaging rules, and they must not be installed in octave's
> > directory tree (well, it's not forbidden, but I'll encourage you not to
> do
> > so).
> >
> > If you want to use tools like the above, then you must unzip them
> somewhere
> > on your local machine, e.g. into a subdirectory in your home directory,
> and
> > then tell octave where to find it by adding all paths with scripts to
> > octave's searchpath using the command addpath().
> > If you want to add a directory and all its aubdirectories, you might
> also
> > take a look at genpath().
> >
> > hope this helps
> >
> > benjamin
> >

> Hi Benjamin,
> I used addpath and genpath to add all the directories of the SPC package.
> When I type "path" they appear in the list, so that seems ok.
> But how do I use the added .m functions now? When I type "help one of
> the functions" Octave
> doesn't recognize the function of the added directories..

Please keep the discussion on the mailing-list.

There seems to be a problem with case-sensitive file matching

C:\temp> type foo.m
function y = foo(x)

C:\temp> type BAZ.M
function y = baz(x)

octave:> dir
.      ..     BAZ.M  foo.m
octave:> which foo
`foo' is a function from the file c:\temp\foo.m
octave:> which BAZ
octave:> glob("*.m")
ans =
{
  [1,1] = foo.m
}
octave:> glob("*.M")
ans =
{
  [1,1] = BAZ.M
}

ren BAZ.M BAZ.m

octave:> dir
.      ..     BAZ.m  foo.m
octave:> which baz
octave:> which BAZ
warning: function name `baz' does not agree with function file name
`c:\temp\BAZ.m'
`BAZ' is a function from the file c:\temp\BAZ.m

Octave obviously treats file names case-sensitive which makes little sense on
case-insensitive file systems.
Hmm, this needs some investigation.

benjamin