Re: Upgrade Ubuntu Jaunty to Karmic (9.04 to 9.10) breaks self-compiled

From: Uwe Dippel
Subject: Re: Upgrade Ubuntu Jaunty to Karmic (9.04 to 9.10) breaks self-compiled octave
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 17:27:22 +0800

Thomas Weber wrote:

Off the top of my head (and maybe mixing some version numbers in the
2.0/2.1 case).

When 2.0 was stable, it was so for a really long time. Most users
actually used the 2.1 version. So, both were introduced into Debian
(I think this was actually done by Dirk Eddelbuettel, but it happened before I got involved in Debian, so maybe it was someone else).

2.1 vs. 2.9/3.0: There were some big changes, breaking other people's
software. I don't remember what exactly, but I submitted at least one
patch to another maintainer to get his package working on the new 3.0
stuff.

Ultimately, we are talking about Octave as a library and an interpreter,
not as a standalone software.
If a new release isn't 100% backwards compatible, you somehow need to
give people a way to migrate their scripts to the new version. That
means they need the old release in ordr to work and the new release for
porting their stuff.

Dear Thomas,

appreciate your explanation very much. I thought so, since Eidors was broken with 3.0. Unfortunately, 2.X was not available under Jaunty, and some list members suggested to compile 3.2.2 myself. (Which was quite a hassle, but finally done with some very helpful people on this list.) The whole thing broke again, with the update of Jaunty to Karmic.

Maybe I should say a few words about my background and motivation: being a FOSS-person for > 10 years, I was looking to replace expensive/pirated Matlab stuff in my workplace (students can easily buy Matlab for around US$1 in various markets). We were doing EIT-research, using Eidors. Our data, alas, cannot be shown on octave, subsequent to the transition 2.X->3.X of octave, because it broke Eidors compatibility; so we are stuck with Matlab. With students' work, I was trying to get some first-year second-semester students to use octave for their basic Bode plots, but the instructions on the web, for Matlab, don't work neither. With the usually utmost helpful people on this list, another syntax made those plots work, but with the title printed in the center instead of at the top. And still, the Bode plot comes with warnings, despite of using the suggested syntax. Add together with my hours (now rather days) just for installing, I'm not really impressed. Though I tried very hard to be impressed. For next Friday, I am invited to show the potential replacement of proprietary research tools (SPSS, Matlab) with FOSS tools in the MyGOSSCon 2009 (Malaysian Government Open Source Conference). What should/could I say without lying? Oh, yes, qtocatve is incompatible with 3.2.2.
Also in this respect, your sentence

Ultimately, we are talking about Octave as a library and an interpreter,
not as a standalone software.

confuses me. Does that mean octave does not want to be a competitor to Matlab? I really don't know what to say at MyGOSSCon. As of now, I can only summarise, that I couldn't find fault with R as a full replacement of the functionality of SPSS (nevermind GUI), function; while octave - sorry, only to my own personal experiences in the last few months, and not wanting to hurt anyone - looks more like alpha. At least, seen from the perspective of someone who intends to replace it for Matlab in teaching and research. (And, from the point of view of a FOSS-developer, a software that seems to have seen some wrong decisions. But that's not what I feel like discussing here. Terms like backward compatibility and Matlab compatibility would need addressing before I could full-heartedly recommend its use.)

Uwe