Re: package installation Octave

From: Benjamin Lindner
Subject: Re: package installation Octave
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 21:01:48 +0100

Erik Brezet wrote:
On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Benjamin Lindner <address@hidden> wrote:
Erik Brezet wrote:
Hi,
I can't seem to get any packages (tar.gz) installed on Octave in
windows. Packages like: RODBC, xlsreadwrite, ga ..
Octave gives: error COPYING file missing or other errors.
I've got the mingw32 installer for windows.

Help?
Well, not all available forge packages can be successfully built for the
mingw32 build.

Please provide some more information. Which version of octave do you have
installed? Which version of the package do you try to install? Can you post
the commands you executed and octave's error response?

With the 3.2.2 mingw32 installer I can for example install ga-0.9.7 without
errors.

benjamin

Hi Benjamin and Anandaram,
Thanks for your responses.
I've got Octave 3.2.2. I still don't get the packages to work.
For example, I want to install SPCtools:

ftp://svr-ftp.eng.cam.ac.uk/pub/comp.speech/tools/spctools

and I unzip the files in the package directory
"octave\share\octave\packeges\SPCtools"
,but when I run Octave, it doesn't recognize any of the commands..

Well, these tools are not an octave-forge-package, so they don't follow octave's packaging rules, and they must not be installed in octave's directory tree (well, it's not forbidden, but I'll encourage you not to do so).

If you want to use tools like the above, then you must unzip them somewhere on your local machine, e.g. into a subdirectory in your home directory, and then tell octave where to find it by adding all paths with scripts to octave's searchpath using the command addpath(). If you want to add a directory and all its aubdirectories, you might also take a look at genpath().

hope this helps

benjamin