The zooming capability disappears

From: Pablo
Subject: The zooming capability disappears
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 19:55:43 -0400

Hi, everyone!

  I'm having a few issues with the capability to use the mouse to zoom
in plots. First I'd like to thank everyone that worked to restore it,
since it's very useful for me. The problem is that sometimes that stops
working, and the plots are not longer responsive to the mouse (or to
other commands like 'g' for grid).

The only way I can get it to work again is to close Octave (loosing all
the variables I have defined) and restart it. I have tried using "close
all" and "closeplot", with no results (other than learning that the
latter is obsolete). I'm sure this is a bug that will be solved
sometime, but since it's quite annoying, I'd like to know if there's any
easy fix for now.

Now, to the details:
 - I use Debian Lenny on an amd64, Octave version 3.0.1 (1:3.0.1-6lenny3)
 - I recently installed the CVS version of Gnuplot (gnuplot 4.5
patchlevel 0, from 10/26/09) following this instructions:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Octave#Zooming in GNUPlot
 - I still have the old version installed (packages gnuplot-nox and
gnuplot-x11, version 4.2.2-1.2) so I may have messed up there.
 - To get Octave to use the CVS version, I added
gnuplot_binary('/usr/local/bin/gnuplot') to my ~/.octaverc
 - Pressing 'h' still shows the gnuplot help, and pressing 6 (verbose)
shows that commands like 'g' and 'u' (unzoom) are echoed, but there's no
change in the plot. The ruler and <B2> still work, though.
 - I noticed that when the plot is responsive, the axis is thicker than
when it's not, FWIW.

I don't really know what triggers the problem, and I can't seem to
reproduce it with simple commands. I'm using an interactive script to
analyze some data, and it's fairly long so I'm not sure where the
problem is. If I'm able to pinpoint the problem, I'll send another
email, but for now I'd like to know if there's a simple way to avoid
restarting Octave.

Thanks in advance,
  Arnoques