RE: Help-octave Digest, Vol 43, Issue 52

From: dastew
Subject: RE: Help-octave Digest, Vol 43, Issue 52
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 10:22:15 +0000

Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 10:24:22 +0530
From: address@hidden
To: address@hidden

Hi all,
          I am trying to use the butterworth filter.  After filtering the signal I feel there is a slight phase shift.  HOw can this be removed?.

There IS going to be a phase shift. All filters ( That I know.) have a phase shift, and unless you have a FIR filter they will all produce some phase distortion. That is -- Different frequencies have a different phase shift. So if different frequencies have a different time delay going through your filter then you will  have a hard time removing the phase shift. If you have only one frequency going through the filter then it is possible to compensate for the delay-- just change your time reference.

 Also how to specify the order of the filter.
eg; butter(1,fc/nysq) , does this mean a first order butterworth filter?.

Yes
and
butter(5,fc/nysq)     this is a 5th order filter.

You owe me a virtual coffee also :-)

Doug Stewart

Thanks and regards

--