Debugging

From: OCuanachain, Oisin (Oisin)
Subject: Debugging
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 15:27:27 +0100

Hi,

I am in the process of porting a large Matlab code base to Octave. I thought the debugging functions would help resolve any syntax incompatabilities but they seem to be less useful than I had hoped. Basically I'm looking for the same functionality as the:
dbstop
dbstep
dbquit functions in Matlab.

dbstop seems to work in Octave, however there is no dbstep.
The doc for dbstop says
*See also:* dbclear, dbstatus, dbnext.
however doc dbnext returns no result.
The following link: http://wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?action="">
suggests that dbnext does in fact exist and is the equivalent of dbstep in Matlab however there is no mention of dbnext in the function reference:
http://octave.sourceforge.net/doc/D.html#D
Anyway trying dbnext it does indeed seem to work as dbstep however when I try to view the state of my variables after stopping at a breakpoint (via whos -variables) the output shows only __nargin__:

*** local user variables:

  Prot Name            Size                     Bytes  Class
   rw- __nargin__      1x1                          8  double

Total is 1 element using 8 bytes

So, my questions are:
1. Is http://octave.sourceforge.net/doc/D.html#D the most up to date funtion reference ? If so, why no mention of dbnext ? Someone would hardly go to the trouble of writing this fuction but then not document it ?
2. Should I be able to see all  the variables in the current funtion when I stop at a breakpoint ? If not, then what is the point of breakpoints ?

For reference I am running release: GNU Octave, version 3.0.5, on Red Hat Linux.

Thanks,

Usjes.