Re: Problems in installing Octave General package

From: Carlo de Falco
Subject: Re: Problems in installing Octave General package
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 22:17:45 +0200

On 14 Oct 2009, at 18:32, Guido Walter Pettinari wrote:

Hi,

this is my first post to this mailing list. I am a PhD student in
Cosmology and I often use Octave. I really appreciate it as a
convenient alternative to Matlab.

I am performing some intensive number crunching hence I would like to
use both CPUs of my MacBook Pro, which runs Mac Os X 10.6, aka Snow
Leopard. I therefore downloaded the Octave General package from Octave
Forge to make use of the parcellfun function for parallel computing
(http://octave.sourceforge.net/general/index.html
) .

I tried to install the package with the usual command:
pkg install general-1.1.3.tar.gz
but I got a lot of errors, mainly complains about dynamical libraries
not being of the required architecture (please see the output below).

As a side note, I installed Octave from the Octave.app project
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave%20MacOSX%20Binary
), hence I did not compile it on my machine.

Thank you for any help!

Cheers,

Guido Walter Pettinari

P.S. Can I attach text files or PDFs to my email while sending it to
the mailing list?

Guido,
Another user posted recently a link to a procedure that apparently makes
mkoctfile work on Snow Leopard, see:

http://www.nabble.com/Octave.app-3.2.3-for-Mac-OS-X-10.4.x-and-10.5.x-td25727982.html#a25798474

I only have Os X 10.5 on my machines so I cannot check myself whether it helps,
if it does work for you please report back to the list

c.