Re: Octave 3.2.2 for Ubuntu9.04?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave 3.2.2 for Ubuntu9.04?
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 10:38:41 -0400

On 20-Sep-2009, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermos wrote:

| 2009/9/19 Uwe Dippel <address@hidden>:
| > Why does Octave not offer recent packages for widely used distributions?
|
| Because it is largely a mistake when a software project makes its own
| packages for distributions instead of helping or working closely with
| the distribution to directly incorporate a package for, well,
| distribution.

FWIW, I completely agree and consider building binary packages outside
the scope of the Octave project.  I mean, we really only have a small
group of active volunteer contributors, and there is only so much we
can do.  I would encourage anyone who thinks that it is important to
have quality binary packages to help with building them.

| and must instead rely on specific packagers like Rafael Laboissiere,
| Thomas Weber, and infrequently myself.

After years doing great work building Octave packages for Debian,
Rafael is no longer active.  So it would be really great if some other
users stepped in and helped.

jwe