Re: Fwd: can not get octave to plot - posting again

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: Fwd: can not get octave to plot - posting again
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 20:50:34 +0200

Nasreddin Hodja schrieb:
Thomas,

The results are interesting. Do I need to reset TMPDIR variable to something else. It seems to point to something non-existent...or just create a /local/tmp?
*ls -l /local/tmp
ls: /local/tmp: No such file or directory

ls -l /tmp
lrwxr-xr-x@ 1 root  admin  12 Jun  4 10:15 /tmp@ -> /private/tmp

echo $TMPDIR
*
*/local/tmp

octave-3.2.2:368> tmpnam ()
ans = /local/tmp/oct-a1D8LQ

octave-3.2.2:366>  [verr, vmsg] = mkfifo ("test.txt", 666)
verr = 0
vmsg =
octave-3.2.2:367>  delete ("test.txt")
*
Thanks and best regards...

--tolga

Hi again,

don't create the /local/tmp directory because there is no need for such a directory on a Mac. The interesting part for me is, where on your Mac is TMPDIR defined? Is it a local definition somewhere in your ~/.profile or ~/.bashrc file or is it even worst defined globally? You can quickly check in Terminal.app

  cat ~/.profile
  cat ~/.bashrc

If you have configured another user on your machine then you can check if TMPDIR is there globally. Maybe it's defined like this

  http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/qa/qa2001/qa1067.html

My suggestion simply is to find the TMPDIR variable definition on your system and remove it. There really is no need to redirect the tmp directory to such a stupid path. If you cannot find the definition or you want to keep it because of a special reason then this is a workaround for your Octave to plot in an aqua window that should work

  setenv ("TMPDIR", "")
  plot (1:10)

Best regards

  Thomas