Re: help me

From: Maynard Wright
Subject: Re: help me
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 15:46:56 -0700

On Saturday 19 September 2009 23:30, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermos wrote:
> 2009/9/14 diego vega <address@hidden>:
> > quisiera saber si existen o hay que crearlas; las funciones son:
> > funcion escalon, funcion signo, pulso triangular , inpulso unitario.
>
> (in Spanish, Diego is asking if Octave has a step function, a sign
> function, unit impulse, and triangular pulse. English answer follows
> below Spanish answer.)
>
> Hola Diego. El idioma de la lista es inglés, pero varios de nosotros
> podemos responder en castellano. Aún así, por favor escribe en inglés,
> pues es el idioma que la mayoría de suscriptores de la lista hablan.
>
> Las funciones que solicitas son muy fáciles de generar. Por ejemplo,
> una función escalón se puede generar fácilmente a partir las funciones
> piso y techo (en Octave llamadas floor y ceil). La función signo ya
> está implantada y se llama sign en Octave. Creo que con pulso triangular
> te refieres a una función parecida a ésta:
>
>      x.*(heaviside(x) - 2*heaviside(x-1)) + 2*heaviside(x-1)
>
> La función Heaviside se encuentra en el paquete de funciones
> especiales (specfun) de Octave-Forge.
>
> No sé qué es un impulso unitario, pero me imagino que podrás generarlo
> también con la función de Heaviside.
>
> Espero esto te ayude,
> - Jordi G. H.
>
> ================== English translation =====================
>
> Hello, Diego. The mailing list language is English, but several of us
> can answer in Spanish. Even so, please write in English, as it's the
> language that most of the mailing list subscribers can speak.
>
> The functions you request are very easy to generate. For example, a
> step function can easily be generated by floor and ceiling functions
> (in Octave, they're called floor and ceil). The sign function is
> already implemented and it's called sign in Octave. I think by
> triangular pulse you mean something like this:
>
>      x.*(heaviside(x) - 2*heaviside(x-1)) + 2*heaviside(x-1)
>
> The Heaviside function is in the special functions package (specfun)
> in Octave-Forge.
>
> I don't konw what a unit impulse is, but I can imagine that you can
> also generate it with the Heaviside function.
>
> HTH,
> - Jordi G. H.

The unit impulse is also sometimes called the impulse function or the delta
function.  A non-rigorous definition would be the limit of a rectangular
pulse (amplitude as a function of time) as the duration in time goes to zero
and the area is held constant at 1.  Note that the amplitude approaches
infinity as the duration (width) approaches zero.  The frequency spectrum of
the unit impulse has a constant amplitude of 1 at all frequencies.

Maynard Wright