Re: OOP in Octave

From: Lukas Reichlin
Subject: Re: OOP in Octave
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 09:01:33 +0200

On 13.09.2009, at 19:08, David Bateman wrote:

Lukas Reichlin wrote:
Dear Octave Community

Since the control package needs to be rewritten in an oop fashion, I started to play around with some Matlab examples. However, Octave gives a parsing error when I try to run an example:

parse error near line 9 of file /Users/lukas/Desktop/polynom/ @DocPolynom/DocPolynom.m

 syntax error

>>>    end
        ^

error: evaluating argument list element number 1
parse error near line 9 of file /Users/lukas/Desktop/polynom/ @DocPolynom/DocPolynom.m

 syntax error

>>>    end
        ^

error: evaluating argument list element number 1
error: called from:
error:   /Users/lukas/Desktop/polynom/polytest.m at line 5, column 3
octave-3.2.2:5>

The code is from the MathWorks without any changes, it runs perfectly in Matlab, so it should be OK. What do I need to change to get it up and running in Octave?

Thanks for any help

Regards,
Lukas

classdef DocPolynom
There is no classdef in Octave yet, though some preliminary work is done.. There is only the old matlab OOP style code in octave (ie tough with the @ directories). The matlab docs for this style of coding are at

http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/pdf_doc/matlab/pre-version_7.6_oop.pdf

and there is a chapter in the Octave manual in 3.2.2 on the OOP support in octave

D.

35 rue Gambetta                              +33 1 46 04 02 18 (Home)
92100 Boulogne-Billancourt FRANCE            +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)

Thanks for your quick reply. Do you know when the new style should be ready to use? (in one year, in two years or Octave 3.4, 3.6 ...)

Regards
Lukas