Re: Statically linking Octave to C++ program

From: mark8
Subject: Re: Statically linking Octave to C++ program
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 20:21:06 -0700 (PDT)

mark8 wrote:

> Do you mean:
> ./configure --enable-static
> Doesn't the fact that I have the libraries liboctave.a etc. suggest that
> was done already?
>
> Or do you mean adding the --static flag to the Makefile? If so, where? I
> tried adding it to the 'all' target so that it reads:
> all: header-msg config-check
>       $(MAKE) -f octMakefile all
> but make complained.

For what it's worth, I just tried
./configure --enable-static
which produced liboctave.a. However, if I run  ranlib liboctave.a, I get:
> ranlib liboctave.a
ranlib: file: liboctave.a(oct-fftw.o) has no symbols
ranlib: file: liboctave.a(f2c-main.o) has no symbols
ranlib: file: liboctave.a(mkdir.o) has no symbols
ranlib: file: liboctave.a(rename.o) has no symbols
ranlib: file: liboctave.a(rmdir.o) has no symbols
ranlib: file: liboctave.a(strftime.o) has no symbols
ranlib: file: liboctave.a(strptime.o) has no symbols
ranlib: file: liboctave.a(strcasecmp.o) has no symbols
ranlib: file: liboctave.a(strncase.o) has no symbols
ranlib: file: liboctave.a(tempname.o) has no symbols
ranlib: file: liboctave.a(tempnam.o) has no symbols
ranlib: file: liboctave.a(oct-rl-edit.o) has no symbols
ranlib: file: liboctave.a(oct-rl-hist.o) has no symbols

feeling stumped...