Mac OSX 10.6 and Octave

From: Vic Norton
Subject: Mac OSX 10.6 and Octave
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 17:29:30 -0400

Has anyone been able to successfully install Octave 3.2.2 (or any earlier version) on the new Mac OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard) operating system? I've heard nothing but horror stories so far. I would very much like to upgrade to Mac OSX 10.6 (which I have purchased), but I dare not upgrade unless I can install Octave. Mind you, I am an old (74), unix-un-savvy mathematician; I need a relatively straightforward installation process.

By the way, Octave 3.2.2 works perfectly now, on my 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac with Mac OSX 10.5.8. As I understand it, Octave 3.2.2 will stop working as soon as I upgrade to Mac OSX 10.6. Am I wrong about this?

Regards,

Vic