Re: Package Install Errors

From: Ron Crummett
Subject: Re: Package Install Errors
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 19:19:22 -0700

Okay -

In regards to the earlier question, I am running Ubuntu Jaunty.

2009/8/30 Tatsuro MATSUOKA <address@hidden>

The pkg install command use temporary directory to extract a package,  carry out configureation and
make binaries.

I suspect that your temporary directory does allow 'w' attribution.
Please type tmpnam at the octave prompt
octave>tmpnam

and get the name the temporary directory name

and confirm the attribution of the temporary directory
octave>ls -l (tmp diretoryname)/..
 >> tmpnam
ans = /tmp/oct-SZWwgP

>> ls -l /tmp/oct-SZWwgP/..
ls: cannot access /tmp/oct-SZWwgP/..: No such file or directory
error: ls: command exited abnormally with status 2
error: called from:
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.2.0/m/miscellaneous/ls.m at line 66, column 2

For what it's worth, every time I type tmpnam I get a different temporary directory.  Don't know if that helps or not, but I figure I'll mention it.

-Ron