Re: Problems with installing octave3.2.2 on ubuntu

From: Matthias Brennwald
Subject: Re: Problems with installing octave3.2.2 on ubuntu
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 20:08:43 +0200

On Aug 30, 2009, at 7:03 PM, address@hidden wrote:

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 07:04:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tokumboh <address@hidden>
Subject: Problems with installing octave3.2.2 on ubuntu
To: address@hidden

I first have to admit I am no expert in ubuntu but I have managed to inistall octave 3.0.1 using the standard sudo apt-get install octave command and would like to upgrade to 3.2.2 so I could use some of the packages available

So I downloaded octave3.2.2.tar.gz and unzipped it and have tried to follow the instructions on the configure and get the following in the config log
http://www.nabble.com/file/p25211828/config.log config.log

I am presuming there are loads of errors but the first one seems to be a missing header file and some of the earlier lack of commands such as arch (I
am not sure there is one!!!) may also be hindering progress

I suppose my first question is there an easier way?

Thanks

You need to install some headers and other stuff before you can compile Octave. Assuming that Octave 3.2.2 does not require anything else than the version available from the Ubuntu repositories, you can get everything you need by running:

        sudo apt-get build-dep Octave

This will install everything needed to build Octave. Then, try running './configure', 'make' and 'make install'. If you're lucky, you'll have Octave 3.2.2 running after that.

Matthias

----
Matthias Brennwald, Käferholzstrasse 173, CH-8046 Zürich, +41 44 364 17 03