Re: [OctDev] i686-specific install failure in java-1.2.6

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: [OctDev] i686-specific install failure in java-1.2.6
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 22:21:56 -0400

On 29-Aug-2009, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:

| On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 11:07 AM, John W. Eaton<address@hidden> wrote:
| > On 29-Aug-2009, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:
| >
| > | On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 12:23 AM, Alex
| > | Lancaster<address@hidden> wrote:
| > |

| > I think the first thing to do is find why this is happening.  It may
| > not solve your other problems, but this is a serious error for Octave,
| > so you should find out why it is happening and fix it.  Maybe we
| > should make it fatal instead of just a warning.
| >
| > jwe
| >

| OK. I compiled octave 3.2.3_rc1 against self-compiled combined
| lapack-3.2.1 + ATLAS-3.9.14 and the ieee warning gone and java package
| compiles and installs fine. (I had tried 3.2.3_rc1 against Fedora's
| lapack/blas or
| ATLAS and it was failing the same way as 3.2.2).

I was thinking that the version of ATLAS or BLAS shouldn't have
anything to do with this warning, but then I realized that we now use
D1MACH to compute some machine constants and then compare them against
some known values to determine the floating point format (see
liboctave/mach-info.cc).  The D1MACH function in Octave used to be
implemented using some old code from netlib (machar.c) but now uses
the DLAMCH function from LAPACK.  So I suppose the warning about
unrecognized floating point format could happen if the DLAMCH function
is miscompiled.

jwe