Re: Too many arguments?

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: Too many arguments?
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 14:24:54 +0200

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 01:56:11PM +0200, Carlo de Falco wrote:
> 2009/8/4 Søren Hauberg <address@hidden>:
> > tir, 04 08 2009 kl. 13:35 +0200, skrev Olaf Till:
> >> is Octave supposed to complain if a function is called with too many
> >> arguments? (In the recent version and in the future --- have only
> >> tested with 3.0.5.)
> >
> > That is the responsibility of the individual function. Most functions do
> > not complain when given too many arguments, but some do.
> >
> > Søren
>
> for a minimalistic approach to checking for consistency of input
> parameters you could use "nargchk"
>
> c.

Thanks --- but I do not mean what the function can do to check the
arguments count, but what Octave itself is supposed to do in the
future. In Matlab, one cannot call a function with more arguments than
listed in the functions header. I do _not_ want this behavior. In
Octave 3.0.5, luckily calling a function with too many arguments is
possible. But I would like to make sure that future versions of Octave
won't make it like Matlab. (Since I would like to change an
Octave-Forge function to call a user-function with an argument more,
but do not want to break existing user-functions.)

Olaf