Re: Plotting with 3.2.0 on Windows is SLOOOOOOWWWW

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Plotting with 3.2.0 on Windows is SLOOOOOOWWWW
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 13:42:21 +0900 (JST)

Hello

**For tracking this issue,
http://www.nabble.com/Plotting-with-3.2.0-on-Windows-is-SLOOOOOOWWWW-td24703690.html

***********
I have got a great hint to overcome this issue.

I have changed pipe buffer size of CreatPipe in octave_popen2 .  The times of
he Disk access was
reduced however no speed up is observed.

Today I have !!!!suddenly!!!! gotten an idea the gnuplot process may be very
slow. Then it I pressed
CTRL+ALT+DEL keys and execute the windows task manager.

When the following  command executing,
N = 100;
n = 2;
m = 2;
tic
for i = 1:n*m
    x = rand (2,N);
    subplot (n,m,i);
    plot (x(1,:),x(2,:));
end
toc

octave-3.2.0 occupied 99% cpu activity and thus I guessed that the speed
gnuplot made slower and thus
led to slooooow plotting.

Next before the above command by Matthias Brennwald I have execute the
following command on
octave-3.2.0.

fplot(@sin, [0 2*pi])

After that I pressed CTRL+ALT+DEL keys and execute the task manager, selected
'Process' tab, and found
the process of gnuplot.exe.  Then I clicked gnuplot.exe by a right mouse button
and change priority of
the process of gnuplot to be increased by one grade.

The above priority setting gave 2 second for the whole plotting by the command
of Matthias Brennwald.

The reason why the slowness did not occur in the computer in my university may
come from that the cpu
of the computer is hyper-threaded so that even if 1 logical core occupied by
octave process, the
gnuplot can work at enough speed the otherlogical cpu.

If one can control process priority of the child process (in this case of
gnuplot) can be controled
.

In the case of the cygwin the child process via pipe may be given higher
priority than that in
windows.

The stories the above have not been completely proved but the results give us
important hint to
overcome this issue.

I will consult Microsoft pages for windows API functions and consider the patch.

Comments to this post are highly appreciated.

Regards

Tatsuro

http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/toolbar/