Figure Background Color

From: Kristen Richter
Subject: Figure Background Color
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 11:00:38 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all,

I am attempting to adjust the figure background color from it's default white
to red.  After reading the online Matlab manual, it seems like the appropriate
commands are

set(gcf,'Color',[1,0,0])

After typing this command into Octave, a figure appears.  A simple plot command
like, plot(apples,oranges) returns a default white plot with a blue line. When
I query get(gcf,'Color'), the answer returned is 1 0 0.

I'm a little puzzled.  I never tried changing the figure background color in
Matlab before and am not sure whether this is an Octave error (or related to
differences between Octave and Matlab) or if I'm just not using the right
command.

Any light that could be shed on this situation would be greatly appreciated.
And I'm running the latest version of octave, 3.2.0, compiled in Ubuntu without
arpack (couldn't get this working).

-Kristen