"octave -q script.m > a_file" creates an extra character

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: "octave -q script.m > a_file" creates an extra character
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 09:43:01 -0400

On 11-Jul-2009, Alexandros Droseltis wrote:

| Hello!
|
| [Using octave 3.0.0 on linux]
|
| I have the following problem. Consider the file script.m with the
| content:
|
| #################
| 1;
|
| printf("A line");
| #################
|
| After typing
|
|       octave -q script.m > a_file
|
| in the command line and viewing the file "a_file" _with an editor_, a
| strange string appears at the beginning of the file:
|
| ^[[?1034hA line
|
| Why does this happen and how could I get rid of this? I would be
| grateful for any help.

That looks like a terminal init string, probably generated when
readline is initialized.  Does it disappear if you do

  octave -q --no-line-editing script.m > a_file

?  Another option would be to set your TERM environment variable to
something that doesn't have an init string.  Maybe

  TERM=dumb octave -q script.m > a_file

BTW, 3.0.0 is obsolete.  You might consider upgrading to 3.2.0.

jwe