Re: Serial COM for Octave Windows

From: Fernando Martinelli
Subject: Re: Serial COM for Octave Windows
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 09:04:44 +0200

Thanks so much Tatsuro! You gave a really big hand here!

I guess with that many hints I'll manage to do it...

My best regards,
Fernando

2009/7/7 Tatsuro MATSUOKA <address@hidden>
Hello

I do not have an answer to your inquiry.  But I will write as a reference.

Please see the following threads
http://www.nabble.com/Serial-communication-on-octave-for-windows-to16690237.html#a16690237

In the reply by Stefan Mahr Apr 16, 2008; 06:20am, he said that
*********
You can use an external serial to network proxy (RFC2217) e.g. ser2net
for linux. There exist similar programs for windows. You just have to
use the socket package from octave-forge to write a simple wrapper.
*********

On windows there existed the software 'net2com' however it seems that no longer available at present.
(I cannot find out it by Google search)

The homepage address of concerning net2com is
http://www.ohloh.net/p/net2com

However I found the address of the homepage on SourceForge is no longer accessible.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/net2com

The following is the translation of the thread on the Japanese Octave thread.

1) install net2com. set COM3 (the modem port of notebook computer) to  localhost:8003 and start
net2com
2) input command from the octave promt
octave:1> more off
sock1 = 1252
octave:2> sock1=socket(AF_INET,SOCK_STREAM,0)
octave:3> server_info=struct('addr','localhost','port',8003)
server_info =
{
addr = localhost
port = 8003
}
octave:4> rc=connect(sock1,server_info)
rc = 0
octave:5> [msg_s,len_s]=recv(sock1,255);
octave:6> msg='ATI0';
octave:7> msg(5)=13;
octave:8> rc=send(sock1,msg)
rc = 5
octave:9> [msg_s,len_s]=recv(sock1,20)
msg_s =
13 10 53 54 48 48 48 13 10 79 75 13 10
len_s = 13
octave:10> num2str(msg_s,'%c')
ans =
56000
octave:11> disconnect(sock1)
rc = 0

Socket octave-forge package can be set at install process of octave-3.2.0 for windows.

The other possibility  you will write serial communication program using win32api as mention the

http://www.nabble.com/Serial-communication-on-octave-for-windows-to16690237.html#a16690237

Regards

Tatsuro