Re: scatter3 is really slow

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: scatter3 is really slow
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 06:34:59 +0200

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 9:25 PM, David Bateman<address@hidden> wrote:
> Dr. Johannes Zellner wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> scatter3 ist really slow here. It's MUCH slower than doing the same
>> plot in gnuplot.
>> What's the problem here?
>>

> Blame mathworks for considering that each point in a scatter point is a
> separate patch object.. Then imagine the for loop that Octave needs to
> have to send all that mess gnuplot.. I don't think there is much to do
> here for the gnuplot backend though something might be possible with
> other backends.
>
> D.

If it is slowing things down this much (and I confirm, scatter takes
ages for 1000 points), what about making the Matlab compatible
behavior only optional? I can hardly imagine what it's good for to
have a separate handle for each point, except maybe scatter plots of
just several points. Matlab compatibility is generally good, but
surely not when it renders a function close to unusable.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert & GNU Octave developer