Handling heterogeneous files

From: ws
Subject: Handling heterogeneous files
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 21:39:25 +0000 (UTC)

Hi all,

I often have data files that have different types in their columns -- for
example, an ISO timestamp in the first column (like "1990-03-04T14:01:01"),
floats in the other columns, and the occasional string columns (["ok"; "ok";
"notok"; ...]).

Is there an easy way to import these and deal with them in octave/ matlab?  I
especially would be happy if there were an automagic conversion of dates to
Julian times, strings to integers (like factors), or whatever.  If there is a
way to get it into a cell array, that would be OK, too.  What I want to avoid
is writing a looping function with a bunch of calls to scanf ...

This is where R/ SPLUS really shines, but yuck.

Thanks!