Re: referencing subfunctions

From: Christian Böhme
Subject: Re: referencing subfunctions
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 01:12:30 +0200

John W. Eaton wrote:

Is there some previous context for this discussion?

Yes.  The original post had Message-ID: <address@hidden>.

I seem to get the same result for both working and broken with the
current sources (and 3.2.0):
                       ^^^^^
It's only 3.0.5 over here.  Something must have changed over
along the way towards 3.2.0.

  octave:2> broken (1)
  p = 1.000000, x = 1.000000
  p = 3.000000, x = 1.000000
  y = 4.000000
  ans =  4

Is this the result you expect?

The output for broken() over here is:

octave:1> broken(1)
error: `f' undefined near line 15 column 10
error: called from `?unknown?'
error: evaluating binary operator `+' near line 3, column 10
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 3, column 3
error: called from `map' in file `/tmp/map.m'
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 17, column 3
error: called from `broken:h' in file `/tmp/broken.m'
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 3, column 3
error: called from `broken' in file `/tmp/broken.m'

I seem to recall a scoping bug that might have been similar to what
you are reporting, and fixing it, but saying that it would not be
fixed in any 3.0.x release ...

That must be it.  I am using the Debian "testing" distribution
which obviously is still far behind.  Have the sources you are
using been "officially" released yet ?

Thanks,
Christian