RE: resolution in the fft

From: dastew
Subject: RE: resolution in the fft
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 14:19:17 +0000

From: address@hidden
To: address@hidden; address@hidden; address@hidden
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 12:26:28 +0000

> From: address@hidden
> To: address@hidden; address@hidden
> Subject: RE: resolution in the fft
> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:02:22 +0200

I don't agree with this.
If Fs (sample frequency) is the same then Fs/2 ( highest frequency that FFT produces) will be the same.
If you do a window (sample) that is 8 samples long then you have a resolution of 4 bins from DC to Fs/2.
And If you do a widow (sample) that is 1000 samples long then you have a resolution of 500 bins from DC to Fs/2.

HTH

 Doug Stewart

Now I see that I misread what was said and  now I agree with with "Rolf.Schirmacher".

If you change both the samplr rate (Fs) and the window size (sample size) ten you can get the situation where the window represents the same amount of time and thus no more resolution in frequency space.

My apologies to "Rolf.Schirmacher"

Doug Stewart