Re: octave with enable-64

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: octave with enable-64
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 22:25:34 +0200

Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Alexander
Barth<address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 4:08 PM, Alexander
Barth<address@hidden> wrote:
Hi all,
I would like to compile octave with --enable-64 to create matrices
larger than 2GB.

Does somebody has experience in compiling BLAS, LAPACK and SuiteSparse
so that this option can be used?

So far I tried to compile the reference BLAS and LAPACK with the
gfortran option -fdefault-integer-8 and SuiteSparse with the option
-DLP64 (I got this from UMFPACK's User Guide). However the example
program in UMFPACK (SuiteSparse/UMFPACK/Demo/umfpack_simple) failed at
the call of dgemv (a BLAS function).

I have the same error with gotoBLAS 1.26 (using BINARY64=1 INTERFACE64=1).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Alex

My system and software versions:
gcc/gfortran 4.2.4
octave 3.0.5
metis 4.0.1
SuiteSparse 3.4.0
lapack 3.1.1
Ubuntu 8.04 / Xeon 64-bit / 16 GB RAM

It seems that compiling suitesparse with the flags " -DLP64
-D'LONGBLAS=long int' -D'LONG=long int' " works. It compiles correctly
the demo program in UMFPACK and the building of octave works too.

In octave, splu does also works:

A = sprandn(2000,2000,.1);
[L,U] = splu(A);
d = L*U - A; max(abs(d(:)))
ans = Compressed Column Sparse (rows = 1, cols = 1, nnz = 1)

 (1, 1) ->  6.8834e-14

Cheers,
Alex

This is nice. Since you're likely a pioneer in this regard, maybe
you'd want to write a short info on the Octave wiki?

I tried to make the sparse code compatible with --enable-64 when I wrote it as suitesparse itself is compatible with 64-bit... It might be interesting to try a QR factorization as that calls CXSPARSE that I suspect might be less tested for 64-bit than the other suitesparse code. Of course there might be bugs in the octave code itself as well, though I think I used octave_idx_type everywhere....

D.

35 rue Gambetta                              +33 1 46 04 02 18 (Home)
92100 Boulogne-Billancourt FRANCE            +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)