Problems with gnuplot and jpg output

From: ws
Subject: Problems with gnuplot and jpg output
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 17:58:14 +0000 (UTC)

Hi all

I just installed gnuplot-4.2.5 and octave-3.0.5 in my home directory on a
Fedora machine from source.

I would like to plot to jpegs (or png's), which I will reference in webpages.
I could also deal with eps, though I will convert it after.  In gnuplot, I
would first "set terminal png" and then do all my plotting; I don't know how to
do this in octave.

I try:
octave> gnuplot_binary('/home/wsprague/gnuplot-4.2.5/bin/gnuplot')
octave> plot(1:4)

I get:

gnuplot> set terminal x11 enhanced title "Figure 1"
                      ^
         line 0: unknown or ambiguous terminal type; type just 'set terminal'
for a list

gnuplot> plot "-" using ($1):($2) axes x1y1 title "" with lines linestyle 1 ;
              ^
         line 0: use 'set term' to set terminal type first

gnuplot> 1 1
         ^
         line 0: invalid command

gnuplot> 2 2