Re: mkoctfile and linking newbie question

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: mkoctfile and linking newbie question
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 21:37:04 -0400

On 27-May-2009, roumbaba wrote:

| > I tried without quotes and also with quotes for each argument, I get lots
| > of error messages that look like these:
| > _gzflush referenced from liboctinterp expected to be defined in
| > /tmp/dependencies-ppc/lib/libz.1.dylib
| > _gzgetc referenced from liboctinterp expected to be defined in
| > /tmp/dependencies-ppc/lib/libz.1.dylib
| > _gzputc referenced from liboctinterp expected to be defined in
| > /tmp/dependencies-ppc/lib/libz.1.dylib
| > _gzread referenced from liboctinterp expected to be defined in
| > /tmp/dependencies-ppc/lib/libz.1.dylib
| > _gzungetc referenced from liboctinterp expected to be defined in
| > /tmp/dependencies-ppc/lib/libz.1.dylib
| > _gzwrite referenced from liboctinterp expected to be defined in
| > /tmp/dependencies-ppc/lib/libz.1.dylib
| > _gzclose referenced from liboctinterp expected to be defined in
| > /tmp/dependencies-ppc/lib/libz.1.dylib

I don't know why that would be happening.  Maybe someone familiar with
building MEX files on OS X systems will be able to help you.

| > Probably not.
| >
| > How come? I thought matlab was also using gcc?
| > I am not using matlab but the person I want to make my .mex is. That is
| > why I am making a .mex instead of a .oct.
| > Is there a way to do my development and testing in octave and then compile
| > for matlab (windows)?

MEX files are not portable across different types of computer systems,
so there is no way that a MEX file built for OS X will work on a Windows
system.  Also, MEX files built with Octave are currently linked with
Octave libraries, so they won't work with Matlab, even on the same
type of computer system.

| Or must I purchase matlab matlab and .mex compiler ?

Why not give your friend the sources for your MEX file so they can
compile it for their own system?

jwe