Re: Windows

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: Windows
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 09:03:40 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Wed, 5/13/09, Mats Hedlund <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: Mats Hedlund <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: Windows
> To: address@hidden
> Date: Wednesday, May 13, 2009, 8:57 PM
>

> Dear list readers,
>
> may I suggest we don't feed Sergei with any more
> explanations. Another
> way of saying it; don't feed the troll.
>

> Thanks!

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#NoDistributionRequirements :

If I only make copies of a GPL-covered program and run them, without
distributing or conveying them to others, what does the license require of me?

    Nothing. The GPL does not place any conditions on this activity.
;

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#InternalDistribution :

Is making and using multiple copies within one organization or company
“distribution”?

    No, in that case the organization is just making the copies for itself. As
a consequence, a company or other organization can develop a modified version
and install that version through its own facilities, without giving the staff
permission to release that modified version to outsiders.

    However, when the organization transfers copies to other organizations or
individuals, that is distribution. In particular, providing copies to
contractors for use off-site is distribution.

-----------------

- my main point:

"
As a consequence, a company or other organization can develop a modified
version and install that version through its own facilities, without giving the
staff permission to release that modified version to outsiders.
".

So, to put the above, shortly: do whatever you want with GPL programs as
long as you do not redistribute them.

Regards,
  Sergei.