Re: problem building octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: problem building octave
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 16:33:45 -0400

On 13-May-2009, Matt Funk wrote:

| Hi,
|
| i have been using:
| 1) ./configure, as well as
| 2) ./configure --without-hdf5 --without-framework-opengl
| both of which give the same error.
|
| The problem seems to be happening during the final link stage as far as i can
| tell. There are no external libraries that i link in. All i do is
| 1) check out the repository
| 2) configure
| 3) make

The problem is that liboctave/oct-mutex.cc includes pthread.h, but we
don't check for the pthread library, or disable this code if pthread.h
is not present.  So that's a bug.  It might have been fixed by now,
but apparently most C libraries provide the pthread library
automatically, or some other thing prevents people from noticing this
problem.  Plus, we have been busy lately arguing with people on the
lists about various interpretations of the GPL or looking for
funding.  Maybe someone would like to contribute a patch that does the
right thing?

jwe