Re: Windows installer for a GPL C++ program

From: Carlo de Falco
Subject: Re: Windows installer for a GPL C++ program
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 11:34:45 +0200

On 11 May 2009, at 11:21, Carlo de Falco wrote:

On 11 May 2009, at 10:05, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Francesco Potorti` <address@hidden > wrote:
I suspect the Qt libraries are at least partly written in C++ and
distributed with a Windows installer. Unfortunately I don't know how
easy is to ask them for advice on this matter.

--

However, the GPL 3 license of Qt includes a special exception by
Trolltech that is likely to be significant here.

An example of a GPLed application which distributes a Windows installer might be

http://www.inkscape.org/

It seems to be "GPLv2 or later" and the source code is at least in part written in C++.

I have no idea about how they compile the windows binaries or about the libraries they bundle with the installer but they have a set of mailing list and forums which seem pretty active so someone might want to ask them there. I don't believe I'm the right person to do this as I know nothing about Windows or MSVC++ as I don't use either.

c.

another project with the same characteristics is

http://filezilla-project.org/

c.