Invoke an octave session via pipe

From: Qianqian Fang
Subject: Invoke an octave session via pipe
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 10:29:19 -0700 (PDT)

I am trying to run a simple octave script I wrote from a GUI. The GUI was
written in free pascal with Lazarus. I created a process for "octave" using
pipes, and sent commands to the octave session via stdin, and tried to read
the output from stdout. Unfortunately, my program did not work. Octave was
started correctly, and from stdout, I could capture the copyright info
printed at the beginning of an octave session. However, this message ended
at "... from previous versions, type `news'", and I can not read from the
output pipe anymore. Sending a new command also did not give me a new buffer
to read.

My question is: is this the correct way to invoke octave from another
program? if octave directs its output not to stdout, then which pipe it
should be?

My full test unit can be found at the following link:
http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,6693.0.html

any suggestions are appreciated, thanks in advance.