Re: octave gnuplot interaction for the purpose of using a different font

From: Matt Funk
Subject: Re: octave gnuplot interaction for the purpose of using a different font
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 20:34:17 -0600

Hi Ben,

On Wednesday 06 May 2009, Ben Abbott wrote:
> On May 6, 2009, at 5:46 PM, Matt Funk wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > i am trying to use a different than default font for plotting to a
> > png file. I
> > can change the title and axis fairly easily but the tickmarks and
> > legend
> > still use the default font.
> >
> > Now, i tried setting GNUPLOT_DEFAULT_GDFONT first from the script
> > (via the
> > system command) and also by hand in the shell from which i call my
> > script.
> > Neither seem to work.
> >
> > Now i think i need to set the gnuplot setting straight via
> > __gnuplot_set__ .
> > Is this the preferred way? Is there any other way i am not seeing.
> >
> > thanks
> > matt
>
> What version of Octave are you running?
octave 3.01

But i need to back off. I tried exporting GNUPLOT_DEFAULT_GDFONT and it
worked. I am not sure what i did different before this.

But is there any way to set GNUPLOT_DEFAULT_GDFONT from within the script?
Straight from my script is the following:
system('export
GNUPLOT_DEFAULT_GDFONT=/usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Arial_Bold.ttf');
Why does that not work. Does the octave script open up its own shell?

thanks
matt