Can't plot from Octave using Aquaterm in OS X 10.5

From: norm_hecht
Subject: Can't plot from Octave using Aquaterm in OS X 10.5
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 16:38:27 -0600

I upgraded my Octave installation, and now find that I can't plot
unless I start up X11.  I've been used to using Aquaterm, and would
prefer to keep using it.

I get the error

gnuplot: unable to open display ':0.0'
gnuplot: X11 aborted.

I have a .gnuplot file  with the line

set terminal aqua 0 fname "Verdana"

Gnuplot works on its own, and apparently sees this line,
because the plot that comes up uses the Verdana font.

Googling the issue lead me to a thread that I started back
in 2006 when I first started using Octave.  I've checked to
verify that I'm still using those suggested settings.

I'm using Octave 3.0.5, gnuplot 4.0, and Aquaterm 1.0
on OS X 10.5.6.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Norm