Re: Latex Fonts and Octave

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Latex Fonts and Octave
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 20:35:47 -0400

On Mar 27, 2009, at 6:45 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

On Mar 27, 2009, at 5:42 AM, Ivan Sutoris wrote:

It is also possible to use epslatexstandalone terminal, which outputs
minimal tex file and eps figure. Tex file can be compiled directly by
latex and replaces all texts and labels in figure using native tex
fonts, so you should be also able to use tex notation. Resulting dvi
can be converted to pdf (or one can add \usepackage{epstopdf} to tex
file and use pdflatex directly). An artifical example:

plot(rand(50,1))
xlabel('Time')
ylabel('$\varphi$')
print myfig.tex -depslatexstandalone
system('latex myfig.tex');
system('dvipdfm myfig.dvi');

Result should be file myfig.pdf - this works quite well on my system
(Miktex 2.7).

Regards
Ivan Sutoris

Very cool!

Thomas, I can verify this works for me on Mac OSX.

If I understand your problem, this is a nice and simple solution.

Ben

The graphic format TikZ/pgf works with both latex and pdflatex. When I Googled to determine how gnuplot might be used to generate an image in this format, I discovered that the developers sources for gnuplot already support it. Info on this gnuplot terminal can be found at the link below.

        http://peter.affenbande.org/gnuplot/

The patch below adds support for the TikZ device to Octave's print() command.

I'm posting the changeset for those interested in testing, but will delay committing this changeset until the gnuplot developers finalize the naming of this new terminal (which I understand is presently under discussion).

Ben