Re: Octave-symbolic package

From: Donald MacKinnon
Subject: Re: Octave-symbolic package
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 10:26:35 +0000

Wolfgang Lindner wrote:
hi Ben,

why not use the GNU CAS Maxima 5.17 in a window parallel with octave?
Or try SAGE - but that's big ..

HTH
Wolfgang
Sometimes that isn't too easy.
I have used a matlab script which originated in Aston University, UK, involving finding piecewise polynomials. The octave routines worked fine until one routine symspline(m,t), was required to execute a step in the process which required the generation of a symbolic structure. I tried everything I could to get the octave symbolic package to give the required algebraic output. I think it involves a matrix internally defined, it could also involve operator overloading. Using Maxima in places sounds plausible but sometimes its impractical.

Octave performed all the other Matlab tasks very well.
Donald